Cycling In The Quarter
10 May 2021
If you’re thinking about making your return to the Quarter by bike, we’ve rounded up a host of resources to give you a helping hand to maintain or gain confidence on two wheels, help with the logistics of cycling to work and protecting your bike.
Cycle Lessons & Bike Maintenance
We work with closely with Westminster City Council to making cycling safe, enjoyable and practical. If you work in the borough of Westminster, you are entitled to free cycle skills lessons – from tailored training at a level suited to your needs to a lesson for the whole family. You can book here. Subsidised bike maintenance courses are also available here, and free or subsidised sessions with Dr Bike to check your bike is in good order. Find upcoming sessions here.
Cycle to Work Scheme
This Government scheme helps employees obtain cycles or cyclists’ safety equipment for travel, saving up to 42% on the overall cost of on your bike and equipment with the help of your employer. To claim on the scheme, your employer must be signed up to a Cycle to Work provider. Guidance for businesses can be found here.
Keep Your Bike Safe
While Marylebone is a low crime area, unfortunately incidents of theft can happen and you’ll want to take the necessary measures to keep your bike safe. London Cycling Campaign has set out its top tips for keeping your wheels secure and the best ways to prevent this from happening:
- Use dedicated cycle parking wherever possible – use , and more information on how we’ve worked with partners to install more bike storage solutions can be found here
- Try to leave your bike in an area with cameras and lots of people about
- Check you’ve locked your bike to a secure stand
- Always lock down your frame and both wheels, and take lights, bags, etc. with you). This means using two good locks, and LCC recommends one with a ‘Sold secure’ gold rating
- Buy the best lock you can afford – it will usually still work out cheaper than replacing your bike!
For more tips, visit the LCC website.
Plan Your Route
Now you’re all set, all that’s left is to plan your route. TfL has a wealth of resources to help you with Cycleways, a route-finder map and Santander Cycles docking locations.
For more TfL resources and information on biking to the Quarter, visit our Safe Travel To And Through The Quarter page.